Monday, January 28, 2013

YAA New Years Resolution: Read What I Have!

by Noelle

I have a problem called a Black Hole Bookshelf.  I buy a book (or seventeen--damn you, bargain book bin!), put them on my bookshelf to read at a later date and...never pick up that book again.  Piled on my nightstand? Books have a chance.  On the Black Hole Bookshelf?  Some haven't resurfaced in years!  I get distracted by library due dates and ebooks that sweep in and steal the spotlight.

This past December I decided to finally organize and rearrange my bookshelf and made myself look at the hard truth.  Below are the books I have purchased (or been gifted) and lay wasting away on my bookshelf unread.  Yup, that would be 41 books.
And that's not even counting the remaining books of the series that I own (18!) or my unread nonfiction books (5!).  On second thought I should rename my bookshelf Mogwai.

So, with it being the New Year and all, I figured why not a Book Resolution YAA Style?  I will knock thirteen of these bad boys out of this pile by the end of 2013!  To help me out, I asked Maggie and our most frequent (and beloved) commenters for some help choosing which of them to read. To keep things interesting, I told them to pick one they want me to read---even if they haven't read it themselves.

First let's just designate Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta as the hands down most chosen pick.  I have no idea why I haven't read it yet other than I was saving it for the hypothetical situation of being stranded on a desert island and needing a new book to read.  (What? I think about these things, okay?) Everything Beautiful by Simmone Howell and Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King were close seconds.

Here is what everyone chose for me:

  
9. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie, chosen by Carla of Makeshift Bookmark













10. Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith, chosen by Chachic of Chachic's Book Nook
11. Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys, chosen by Jasprit of The Reader's Den
12. A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb, chosen by Maja of The Nocturnal Library

And lucky #13 for 2013 is...

13. The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman, chosen by Anna of Verity Reads

It's a great group of books if I do say so myself.  Makes me want to check the bargain book bin...*slap* I mean I'm excited that I finally have a resolution that I actually want to do!  Thanks to all the lovely ladies for helping me out and stay tuned for the reviews! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We've just installed Disqus for comments. If you see this message, it means that Disqus has not loaded properly. BADLY DONE, DISQUS. You can either try refreshing the page to get to the Disqus thread or leave a comment here.